Camping Checklist & Guide To Camping On Stradbroke Island
Camping is a fantastic way of getting out and about, whether that be with family, friends, or by yourself.
Whether you’re planning your first camping trip or a seasonal camper, this camping checklist will definitely point you in the right direction of exactly what you will need, depending on where you’re camping. You can use this checklist as guidance and a starting point, which should be adjusted according to individual needs whether you’re camping on North Stradbroke Island, at the beach, or in the woods.
Camping on Stradbroke Island is a fantastic way to break away from the hustle and bustle of city life. It’s a one-of-a-kind opportunity where you can zone out and meet new people.
Read on about our camping checklist for guidance on what you should pack before escaping away.
Before You Go Camping
Before you go camping, you should consider the weather, the activities you’ll be doing, and the campsite amenities you’ll be staying at. Will it be hot or cold, or a mix of both? Are you hiking, swimming, socializing with friends, or climbing? Should you pack lightweight clothing or heavy clothing? Will you have access to showers to toilets? These are just some of the questions you should ask yourself before beginning to pack.
Use this list as a basic guide that you can use, and alter according to your individual needs and where you’ll be camping.
What Do I Need To Pack For A Camping Trip?
- Tent pegs (bring some extra, they can bend and get lost easily!)
- Ropes & poles
- Floorings, such as a mat or rug
- Lantern/light (and a spare candle)
- Camp chairs/table
- Collapsible drying rack
Bedding & Sleeping Checklist
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping bag liner
- Mosquito net
- Inflatable mattress or an air pump mattress. Make sure you bring patches or a repair kit for the mattress in case you get holes in it!
- Sheets & Blankets. If you’re camping in winter, it’s good to bring an extra blanket for the really cold nights!
- T-shirts, singlets, and undergarments
- Hiking boots & comfortable runners if you’re planning on walking a lot
- Underwear & socks (spare, too. You don’t want to be turning them inside out by day night 3!)
- Shorts, sweatpants, jeans
- Laundry bag
- Shower shoes and/or flip flops
- Day bag
- Hats & sunglasses
- Swimmers and a towel
- UPF clothing
- Rain gear (poncho, a large, hooded jacket)
- Long sleeve tops
- Fleece gloves
- Thick socks for sleeping
- Water filters/purification
- Portable gas stove
- Water bucket
- Esky & ice
- Matches/lighter, or a fire starter
- Cooking pots
- Reusable eating utensils
- Mugs and plates
- Cooking pots or pans
- Reusable water bottles
- Paper towel
- Plastic tub for dishwashing & dish towel
- Condiments (salt, pepper, sauces, oil)
- Cooking utensils (tongs, knife, spatula, large spoon)
- Can opener
- Coffee plunger
Camping Hygiene & Toiletries Checklist
- Toilet paper
- Soaps and disinfectant wipes
- Insect repellent
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Roll on deodorant
- Lip balm
- Personal medication
- Toiletry bag
- Aloe vera gel
- Hair ties, brush/comb
- Large plastic tub for rinsing feet
- Feminine hygiene products
- Portable charger
- Books, or a digital ebook
- Safety pins
- Fire extinguisher
- First-aid kit
- Solar panel
- Picnic rug
- Fishing gear and bait
- Print off reservations info/confirmation
- Travel alarm clock
- Small sewing kit
Overall, this camping checklist should be used as a guide to point you in the right direction before starting to pack and get you thinking about what items you’ll be required to have. We have a range of different campsites for first-time campers and the experienced on North Stradbroke Island, so if you’re thinking about camping in Brisbane, Gold Coast, or within Queensland, and not sure where to go, Straddie might be your golden ticket!